(Quick links: publications, teaching)
I am a post-doctoral researcher in the complex systems group of the Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences in Leipzig, Germany, where I am applying category theory to game theory and more general economics. My long-term aim is to work towards large scale economic applications where existing methods are impractical to apply.
Scalability is the end, compositionality is the means, category theory is the means to the means.
Other topics I am interested in include logic (especially constructive and linear logic), functional programming, and the semantics of natural language.
You can find an updated bibliography of all things related to compositional game theory here.
For an introduction to the philosophy behind my research, see
If you are coming to compositional game theory for the first time and want to know where to start, see my reading list
You can watch me giving an introductory lecture on open games here (starts around 1:30).
- November 2019: I’m visiting Pawel Sobocinski’s new applied category theory research group at the Tallinn University of Technology; especially to talk to Elena di Lavore, whose PhD I’m co-supervising
- November 2019: I’m in Glasgow (again), this time working on machine learning with Bruno Gavranović
- October 2019: New preprint: Bayesian open games, with Joe Bolt and Philipp Zahn
- September 2019: I spent a week at the 3rd Statebox workshop in a forest in Brandenberg, followed by the Statebox Summit in Berlin
- September 2019: I spent a few days in Glasgow visiting Neil Ghani at the University of Stathclyde
- September 2019: I’m in Birmingham for SYCO 5 / String 3 where I’m speaking twice: firstly on compositional machine learning and differential geometry, and secondly with Jelle Herold on brick diagrams (with a tool demo)
- August 2019: New preprint: Foundations of brick diagrams, with Jelle Herold
- August 2019: I spent a week in Mannheim working with Philipp Zahn on mechanism design
- July 2019: I’m back in Oxford for 2 weeks for ACT 2019 and the associated summer school
- July 2019: I’m on the programme committee of STRING 3 / SYCO 5, which will be held in Birmingham in September